I was reading my book on the subway tonight on my way home. Since the car was full, I was standing, holding onto the pole. After several people got off at one stop, I looked around to see if there was a seat open. No such luck. Oh well. At the next stop, I noticed an elderly woman sitting at the end of the row, gesturing that there was a seat available across from her. Since I only had one more stop before transferring to another train, I smiled and thanked her, but said that I only had one more stop to go, and stayed standing.
I thought that it was quite nice of her to notice that I had wanted a seat, and to let me know when there was one open. As I got off the train to transfer, I realized that it probably had more to do with the book I was reading than with her observing me looking for a seat. The book was Your Pregnancy Week by Week, which I'm reading not because I'm expecting a baby, or planning on having one any time soon, but because I'm certifying to become a birth doula, someone that helps pregnant women leading up to and during labor. But she probably assumed that I was pregnant, and really needed that seat!
6 years ago

2 comments:
doula!?!? elisabeth! i am smiling so big right now! it's a great thing, and so empowering. i'd love to hear about your birth experiences. i love birth! and you! let's talk about this... soon! p.s. are you certifying through DONA or another organization?
hey sara, Yes, I thought of you when I decided to become a doula. I am certifying through DONA.
Post a Comment