
I know that all of you eagerly anticipate updates about my house plants. Well, I have some exciting news to share today. My cactus has sprouted arms!
This cactus is a survivor. He, of three cacti that I purchased together from Ikea, alone survived the curiosity of Sammy and Jeter, my roommates cats (3 apartments ago). He also briefly co-habituated with a fungus. I have repotted him once, and he sprouted up so tall that he can't stand up straight. (I have been debating repotting him again, to see if I can fatten him up.)
When he first started sprouting arm buds, I was worried. They looked like weird little nubs. But now they are presentable arms. I'm so proud! Now if I can only get him to stand up straight...
I have a special fondness for cacti. The first plant that I ever owned was a cacti, when I was probably only 7 or 8 years old.
Soon I will post photos of my other plants. The elm bonsai from W & J's wedding is sprouting again. A relief, since I thought that I might have killed it. That would not have been a good omen. There is another plant that sprouted in it's pot, I need to figure out what it is.

My brother M had to hold the cactus up for this photo.

6 comments:
Lis, you should start using labels on your posts, so that when you post a new update on your cactus, faithful readers like me can easily click the label and see ALL previous updates on your cactus, instead of having to search arduously through the archives.
Also, we should establish a Lis' cactus fan club.
As I was looking for the mushroom post, I did realize that I haven't labeled anything. But I kind of like the idea that you would search through the archives. We'll see, I may start labeling, I may go back and label, I may not.
Oh, I was also realizing that the cactus does not have a name. I guess if he's getting a fan club, he should get a name. He was only assigned a gender yesterday. Although since he hasn't flowered, he probably is male. (Or are cacti asexual? You better start researching if you are heading up this fan club.) I was googling to see if I should repot, and it is actually not recommended, according to one site.
Such cute little arms!
Wouldn't it be awful if people were born with no arms and had to grow them? Like teething but with appendages...
I wonder how norwhales deal with their children when they are teething, I mean the horn/tooth must hurt a lot..
hurray for houseplants in the city. bruce's pea plant produced six peas in two pods and then gave up the ghost.
Post a Comment