Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Babies Wait for No Woman

I should have followed K's advice and finalized my doula arrangement with the client who was due at the end of Feb. I was busy, though, and thought that I still had plenty of time. I called her today to check in, and discovered that the baby came on Saturday! She had asked her husband to call me, but he didn't have the number handy. Fortunately, from the info I'd given her by email, she was able to talk to a midwife and find a hospital to deliver at where they gave her the time that she needed to labor so that she didn't have to have a c-section.

She had contacted a couple weeks ago about recommendations for a doctor or midwife. The doctor that she had been seeing for pre-natal care was insisting that she needed a c-section, because he thought the baby was too big. She was uncomfortable with this conclusion, since the pregnancy had been normal and there were no other risk factors. I'm glad that she had the confidence in her own reasoning to look for a second opinion. She was able to have the baby without surgery, and both she and the baby are doing well.

I did get to have dinner tonight with my first doula client and her family. Her baby is 6 months now, and I could have spent all night playing with her. (Well, at least until she got really cranky.) She almost seems like my godchild--I got to watch her come into this world. How amazing is that? Next time, I won't put things off. You never know when the baby will come.

No comments: