
So, I was cooking lentils today, and wanted to add some garlic and onions. I got out my garlic press, and a bulb of garlic. One clove went through fine, but when I put in the second clove to press, the press cracked! I didn't cut off the tough end, like I usually do, and I guess it was just too much for the press. I'm sad, because I got this garlic press when my oldest (though younger than me by 18 months) brother came to visit me 7 years ago--has it really been that long? I was a sophomore in college, and he was shocked to find that I didn't own a garlic press. (He cooked for me while he was there. Weeks later I found all my hot pads on top of the refrigerator. Which, since he is 6'6" is probably a reasonable place for him to keep them.) So he, my best friend/roommate, and I went out and bought a garlic press.
We didn't get a fancy one that doubled back to clean itself. We just got a basic one. And today it died. A noble death. At least no pieces ended up in the lentils. (I hope!)

3 comments:
This is a very sad occasion. It also reminds me that I, too, need a garlic press. Badly. Life is not the same without them because even the most devoted cutting doesn't allow the juices to spread the way they do with a good garlic press. Studies have shown a strong correlation between low garlic press use and feeling of gross existential displacement. People who frequently use garlic presses, in contrast, tend to feel relatively at home in the universe.
Oh, very sad that it died. Though I never knew yours personally, I have met its cousin - and they are trustworthy friends while they last. I need to buy one too. What lentil recipe were you making? I recently bought lentils but am not sure how to cook them.
Lentils are pretty easy to cook--similar to dried beans, but without the soaking and much shorter cooking time. I just put a cup or so in a pot and covered them with water, about 2 inches above the lentils. Then added some onion and garlic and let them simmer. Usually in 15-20 minutes the water is absorbed and they are done. I was so busy blogging that I left them on much longer, and the bottom burned. Most of the pot was fine, but very mushy. More like Indian dahl. They could use some spice--salt, pepper, and since I'm thinking of dahl, cumin, curry, etc.
Post a Comment